For sale is a Used Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Wheelset. These wheels were a part of a demo fleet, and have been checked over and are ready to roll down new roads!
f perfection is the standard, then the ZIpp 303 Firecrest Wheelset delivers everything you could ask for, including a heritage forged in the Spring Classics. At the center of the 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is the 77/177 hubset, an innovation that results in improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility.
Zipp's Carbon Clincher technology preserves the aerodynamic advantages of the 303 Firecrest's tubular brother, while adding the convenience of a clincher tire. And at just 1,645g, it's light enough to climb up the steepest gradients with ease as a go-to all-around wheelset.
The Firecrest shaping optimizes the aerodynamic profile of both the front half and the back half of the wheel. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards, giving the 45 mm-deep rim the crosswind stability a box-section rim. At the same time, the 26.4 mm-wide brake track (at center) allows the clincher tire to take on a wider, more stable shape without compromising rolling resistance. It's faster, simpler, and more stable.
- Firecrest: With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- Carbon Clincher: Zipp’s superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. Zipp worked with their composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control: (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of Zipp’s carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- Wire EDM: Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to cut the materials for our rear hub drive internals after they’ve been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Steel Bearings: Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company’s high precision balls, and more than five times tighter than most precision” balls.
- Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control: Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- Hubs: 77 and 177
- Weight: 1480g
- Max Recommended Rider Weight: 250 lbs