Surly Surly 2014 Krampus Complete 29er Fat Bike
Erik’s Low Price:
Shop With Confidence
SSL Secured Guarantee
Money Back Guarantee
Ways to Buy
Ship To StoreDetails
ERIK'S Ship To Store program allows you to buy online and pick-up in store. For full details, click here!
(May not be available at all locations, while supplies last)
The 2014 Surly Krampus is the evolution of the 29er. It’s not a fat bike. True, its got 3 inch tires on 50mm rims. But where fat bikes are really designed for slow-speed crawling, Krampus’s frame has been designed with a long toptube and as short a rear end as we could get away with given the wheel/tire size. This, when combined with the big, wide tires, results in a mad amount of rolling inertia and grip. It rips and responds well to body English. The big tires also offer a bit of suspension-like cushion. Krampus is a trail bike that also tackles all kinds of terrain. Krampus lives somewhere between bushwhacking, speed racing, and back lot dirt track riding, and all this makes it just plain fun to ride.
Krmapus’s hub spacing is standard 100mm front and 135mm rear, with rear-loading horizontal dropouts that accommodate a derailleur and single ring/cog drivetrains. It’s got clearance for disc rotors up to 185mm and is designed to run a high direct mount standard front derailleur. This type of derailleur will allow the most clearance at the tire. Even though there is no need for the sort of frame offset you find on our Pugsley and Moonlander models, chain and derailleur clearance at the tire remains a serious consideration. If you plan to use standard width rims and tires, you’ll be able to run a normal mountain triple crank. However, if you go with our 50mm Rabbit Hole rims and 3 Knard tires (and why wouldn’t you?) then plan to use a 1x or 2x crank…a triple simply won’t clear the tire. For best chain/tire clearance, we recommend either a Surly O.D. 2x crank or a 1x system. Other brands’ 2x cranks will work but may cause some chain-on-tire rub in the easiest gear combo.
Got all that? O.K., then. Give it the juice and hang on.
- Tubing: Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main Triangle TIG-welded, custom butted. Sweet CS Yoke.
- Rear Dropouts: Horizontal slotted w/derailleur hanger, 135mm O.L.D.
- Brake Compatibility: 51mm IS disc mounts frame and fork
- Braze-ons/Extras: Dual water bottle mounts, Surly Trip Guide full line guides for brake and derailleurs, fender and rack eyelets
- Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: High direct mount standard, clamp adapter included
- Chainring Clearance: Triple 22/34/44t, Double 26/39t, Max single ring clearance, Middle position, 34t. Outer position 44t. (Triple will not work with Surly 50mm rim and 29 x 3 inch tire, for doubles, run a Surly O.D. Crankset for best tire clearance.)
- Tire Clearance: 29 x 3 inch
- Fork: TIG-welded custom tapered butted 4130 CroMoly, 100-120mm suspension corrected, 1-1/8 inch steerer tube, 203mm disc brake clearance
|Frame||Surly Krampus, Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main Triangle TIG-welded, custom butted. Sweet CS Yoke. |
|Fork||Surly Krampus, TIG-welded custom tapered butted 4130 CroMoly, 100–120mm suspension corrected, 1-1/8 steerer tube, 203mm disc brake clearance |
|Shifters||Shimano SLX, 10-speed RH |
|Front Derailleur||MRP 1x guide. BB mount, yep |
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano SLX/Shadow+ RD-M675, Black |
|Brakes||Avid BB7, 180/160 HS rotors |
|Brake Levers||Avid FR-5, Black |
|Cranks||Shimano ZEE, 175. 170 on small |
|Cassette||SRAM GG-1070, 10-speed. 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36t|
|Chain||KMC x10, Silver |
|Hubs||Surly Ultra New Disc, 32h. 6-bolt disc. Black / Shimano FH-M529, 32h. Disc. Black |
|Spokes||DT Swiss, 14g |
|Rims||Surly Rabbit Hole 29+, 700c x 50mm w/holes |
|Headset||Cane Creek, 40 series for 44mm |
|Handlebars||Salsa Wammy, 780mm width. 11 degree bend, flat |
|Grips||Surly Knard 29 x 3 , 27tpi |
|Saddle||Velo VL2155, Steel rails |
|Seat Post||Kalloy SP-324, |
|Seat Binder||Surly Stainless, 30.0mm |
*Specifications are subject to change without notice
More cool products you might like