We won't beat you over the head re-explaining the idea of the 2014 Surly Pugsley Special Ops or even the fat bike theory. If you're looking at this bike there's a good chance you already know what you're looking at, and if you don't then check out the Pugsley and Moonlander pages. There's plenty of info there to get you up to speed.
Pug Ops is a mid-fat fat bike. It shares the same frame as the standard Pugsley, and it has the same non-offset fork. The fork has clearance for 4.8 inch tires on 100mm rims, it's spaced for 135mm hubs and has cage-mounting bosses on each leg for running either standard bottle cages in a high or low position or a larger gear cage.
It isn't just the wider rims that set it apart though. Where the standard Pugsley sports 3.8 inch tires on 65mm rims and the Moonlander runs 4.8 inch tires on 100mm rims, Pug Ops has 3.8 inch Nate tires on 82mm Rolling Darryl rims, increasing the footprint of the 3.8 inch tire, and thereby its float and traction, while keeping the wheel weight lower than Moonlander. Many of Pug Ops' parts are nicer. It gets our O.D. crank with 36/22 rings, 120tpi Nate 3.8 inch tires, Shimano LX derailleurs and SLX shifters and 180/160mm front/rear rotors with all black Avid BB7 cable disc brakes. This year it comes in a beautiful olive drab color with matching rims.
- Tubing: Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded
- Rear Dropouts: Surly horizontal rear load, with derailleur hanger; 135mm O.L.D.; offset 17.5mm
- Brake Compatibility: 51mm IS disc mounts frame and fork. Note: please check your fork specifications for specific brake adaptor requirements. Some of our forks use rear brake adaptors!
- Braze-ons/Extras: 30.0mm (Surly stainless included)
- Seatpost clamp diameter: 30.0mm (Surly stainless included)
- Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: High direct mount, (adaptor included)
- Bottom Bracket Shell: 100mm wide, standard English threading (1.37 inch x 24t)
- Chainring Clearance:Compact triple: 22-32-44t (with 65mm rim)
- Tire Clearance: 3.8 inch on 82mm rims. Use of 82mm rims requires the use of Surly Mr. Whirly Offset Double crank, O.D.Crank or truncated cassette to avoid tire/chain rub. Standard mountain triple gearing will work with 65mm rims
- Fork: 447mm axle to crown, tapered straight blade, 4130 CroMoly. 51mm IS disc mount. 135mm-spaced dropouts. 17.5mm offset fork available after market